Blog

Loving My Green, Paleo Smoothies

on January 23, 2012 | In: News, Nutritional Approach, Nutritional Tips, Racing | 16 Comments

Smoothies have got to be one of the most popular go-to for meals on the fly.  It’s ridiculously easy to whip up a concoction of any combination of ingredients, and it does not, by any means, need to be syrupy sweet.

I’ve gotten in the habit of throwing at least 1/2 a bunch of kale into my smoothies, even those that I’ll have post workout.  It blends up easily even if you don’t use the workhorse of a blender, the Vitamix!

Start with water or brewed green tea, or broth if you’re going for something savory.

Add some protein; fresh, raw eggs are a great option if you’re comfortable with them, if not, go for a runny, six-minute soft boiled version.

Allergic to eggs? Not a problem.  I learned out of necessity recently, when I had gum surgery after which I could only eat mush for about a week, that other proteins blend up quite nicely as well; shredded chicken, turkey or beef as well as baked salmon all work.

Throw in a little low glycemic fruit (frozen berries are brilliant), or something sweeter, like a ripe banana, if you’ve just done a long endurance session.

Add some fat, like coconut oil, avocado (this is great even in the sweeter varieties of smoothies) or raw almond butter once in a while.

Whiz until well blended and add some ice if you want some froth.

I also like to add turmeric for it’s anti inflammatory properties as well as ginger and cinnamon.

Keep it real, made out of pure Paleo foods, and you won’t miss any of the old stand-bys you may have used in the past like sugars, whey or soy powders or even artificial flavors.

A perfect meal on the run, any time of day!

Leave a сomment?

16 Comments.

• Katie January 23, 2012 at 7:03 pm

How much turmeric, cinnamon, and/or ginger do you add? Do you normally use all 3 in the same drink? Is the Vitamix really worth the $500.00 price tag?
    Thanks, Katie

• admin January 23, 2012 at 7:09 pm

I add a dash of each spice and yes, I like all three together. I have no idea if a Vitamix is worth it as I have never used one.

• amandatan January 25, 2012 at 8:52 am

Hi Nell, I was just thinking to ask you questions about raw green smoothies this week. Lately, I am addicted to a all raw, green smoothie with raw egg, a few gloves of garlic, a ton of fresh ginger, 1 tomato, 1 avacado, 1/2 cucumber, a big hand full of spinach if I have them in the fridge (It is usually what veggies I can find in the fridge). Sometimes, I add carrots or peppers to it. And I add some cayanne pepper to it for a little kick. A couple of question:

(1) I have been watching my portion of spinach, kale, cabbage etc due to my hypothyroidism – which is sad – is that true? I love kale.
    (2) It is so ridiculously delicious but it makes me bloated… is that a sign of indigestion? And if so, is that bad? I’ve read that the proteins of undigested foods can get back into the blood stream and it can be inflammatory. I’ve read that raw veggies (yummy) has good enzymes that can help with digestion but also read that cooked veggies are easier to digest. I am conflicted.

What are your thoughts?

A note on Vitmix…. YES, it is worth every dime. LOVE it and highly recommend it. It makes me eat so much raw veggies that I normally wouldn’t have. It brings food to a completely different light.

• admin January 25, 2012 at 5:44 pm

1) Yes, you’re right that eaten in excess, sprouts, broccoli, cabbage, kale, mustard greens, spinach, peaches and pears can suppress thyroid function. You don’t have to avoid completely, just try and focus on other veggies.
    Above and beyond that, though, AVOID all processed and refined foods which are very toxic to the thyroid.

Also, be sure you are taking fish oil to get in those good Omega 3′s which help with hypothyroidism.

2)If you are bloated, perhaps you are just drinking too much of it at once. The protein leak you’re referring to happens when one develops intestinal permeability due to eating grains and legumes, not by eating too many veggies.

Thanks for the comment on the Vitamix!

• JCBeck January 25, 2012 at 9:52 pm

Nell – +1 on the awesomeness of the Vitamix. It gets my husband to eat fruits & veggies he wouldn’t normally eat.

One question – how much healthy fat (avocado or almond butter) in proportion to the other ingredients you mention for a fruit or more savory smoothie?

• admin January 26, 2012 at 8:49 am

I use about a tablespoon of coconut oil or a quarter of an avocado for one serving.

• kalliope January 26, 2012 at 10:22 am

Hi, Nell–I’ve been a long-time fan of the green smoothie but now I’m adding protein, the plain eggwhite powdered stuff. The recipes in your cookbook (love!) call for a “scoop.” How much is a scoop? The kind I bought, by Now Sports, didn’t come with one, and the listed serving size of 1/4 cup seems excessive.
    As for the Vita-Mix–I’ve had mine for over nine years and it’s truly an awesome machine. I’d like to get the newer version (it’s shorter, to fit standard kitchen counters/cabinets better) but can’t justify it when the old one won’t die no matter what I do to it. It’s the Humvee of blenders.

• admin January 26, 2012 at 2:29 pm

A scoop is about 1/4 cup. Even better than the powder, try raw or soft boiled eggs! : )
      Hearing all this great feedback on the Vitamix makes me think I’d better buy one. I have two awesome blenders already, but I have no problem buying more ‘toys’ when it comes to kitchen ware!

• Ashley January 26, 2012 at 10:16 pm

VitaMixes are pretty awesome. My mom has one and you can use it for just about anything. She uses it mainly for her fruit smoothies and I use it for my homemade nut butters. It turns almonds into butter in less than two minutes. If you make a lot of your own nut butters like I do, Vitamixes are definitely worth the buy.

• amandatan January 27, 2012 at 11:10 pm

We’ve also used our Vitamix to make nut milks using the nut milk bag that came with it. Since my husband, Tom, just found out that he is allergic to almonds, we have been making different kinds of nut milks even with sprouted nuts. One of Nell’s blog brought me to the attention of carragreenen. I started noticing that in many store packaged nut milks. It is better to make our own and let Vitamix does its magic.

• admin January 28, 2012 at 9:09 am

OK. Done. I am buying a Vitamix! : )

• amandatan January 28, 2012 at 11:19 am

You crack me up, Nell! :)

• kalliope February 1, 2012 at 10:48 am

Good for you, about time! Another way to make nutmilks (but you wouldn’t particularly need a Vita-Mix) is to mix water and the previously made raw nut butter of your choice in the blender. It’s faster than using the nut milk bag. Cashew is my current favorite.

• Angelika February 12, 2012 at 2:25 pm

I have been eating paleo now for several months and have been through various stages of it. Including eating animal fat and dairy but no or close to no fruit. I’ve come to understand that there is paleo and there is paleo, but the only way that makes most sense to me is what you and Dr. Cordain say about it. So my question to you is: I know you include fruit in pretty much every meal, why? What’s the benefit? and what about all that fructose? Isn’t that bad for me? Thanks

• admin February 14, 2012 at 4:07 pm

Great question, Angelika, and one that I think a lot of people are confused about. Stay tuned for a post on this subject!

• Angelika February 14, 2012 at 4:12 pm