Blog

Yogurt- Has it Got a Place in Paleo?

on July 9, 2012 | In: Food and Drink, HIdden Food Additives, News, Nutritional Approach, Nutritional Tips | 10 Comments

Yogurt.    Rich in probiotics and good for you?

Maybe…or partly, but not really all that Paleo.

Yes, historically, yogurt has been used for ages in different cultures not only as a part of their cuisine, but also for its healing properties stemming from the probiotic content.

But what if you don’t like to eat dairy?

Personally, the resulting effects of eating dairy (congestion and bloating) render it not something I want to include.   In the event that a situation arises when I feel I need to eat some probiotics, such as a few years ago after I finished a course of antibiotics for a case of swimmer’s ear, I prefer a top of the line capsule not sourced from dairy or soy.

If you are someone who makes the choice to include some dairy in the form of yogurt in your diet, at the very least, be sure to use a brand that is really just yogurt.   All too often, we see yogurts that are really nothing more than an usual concoction of low-fat or fat-free milk, gelatin, artificial sugars and flavors and no probiotics!

Of course, I’d recommend not eating the dairy in the first place, but if you’re doing so for curative purposes for a limited period of time, being diligent about making sure that the yogurt you choose really does have the good bacteria in it, otherwise, what’s the point?

Leave a сomment?

10 Comments.

• Kris July 12, 2012 at 4:21 am

What are your thoughts on the “SO Delicious” coconut milk yogurt? I regularly ate Greek yogurt before heading out to work previously, however, have since switched to the coconut variety since going ‘all in’ on Paleo foods.

• admin July 12, 2012 at 5:21 pm

That’s a no-go. Here are the ingredients:

ORGANIC COCONUT MILK (ORGANIC COCONUT CREAM, WATER, GUAR GUM, XANTHAN GUM), ORGANIC EVAPORATED CANE JUICE, PECTIN, CHICORY ROOT EXTRACT (INULIN), TAPIOCA DEXTROSE, ALGIN (KELP EXTRACT), MAGNESIUM PHOSPHATE, TRICALCIUM PHOSPHATE, ORGANIC RICE STARCH, LOCUST BEAN GUM, LIVE CULTURES, CARRAGEENAN, DIPOTASSIUM PHOSPHATE, VITAMIN B12.

Both guar gum and xanthan gum, used as stabilizers, are derived from non Paleo foods (beans and corn, respectively). Both are very high in anti nutrients and need to be avoided, even more so for those following auto immune Paleo. Also, the cane juice makes it not Paleo friendly.

Make your own! Have you searched my blog for my coconut yogurt recipe?

• Kris July 13, 2012 at 4:15 am

Interesting…I didn’t know the origins of guar/xantham gum. I just looked up the coconut yogurt recipe in your blog – looks like I will be in the market for my own yogurt maker soon!

• admin July 13, 2012 at 5:06 pm

Enjoy!

• tryptofan January 8, 2013 at 6:01 pm

Amande is my personal fav: cultured almond milk yoghourt. It’s just almond milk (almonds & water), fruit juice (peach, pinneapple), and 2 things not totally paleo (locust bean gum & rice starch) in small amounts. It’s the best option I’ve found in a commercially available yoghourt for those who aren’t interested in making their own. I mix chia seed gel into it which makes it like tapioca pudding.

• admin January 8, 2013 at 7:51 pm

Such a shame that seemingly Paleo products often have additives that make them not-so-paleo! : ( You can also just use fresh coconut cream, straight from the coconut, in place of yogurt in many recipes.

• Charlette June 27, 2013 at 12:19 pm

is chia seeds ok to have?

• admin June 27, 2013 at 1:53 pm

All seeds and nuts and their derivatives as an occasional garnish are OK. Not too often as all nuts and seeds are inflammatory in nature due to their high Omega 6 and low Omega 3 content.

• cmblocke February 5, 2014 at 1:45 am

What about White Mountain Probiotic Bulgarian Yogurt? It has the highest concentration of cultures (90 billion/serving) of any yogurt on the market. According to White Mountain’s website, the extremely high level of (good) bacteria in their product means that almost all the lactose is consumed (eaten by the bacteria)…so is this yogurt even still dairy, since lactose tends to be the offending agent? Probiotic supplementation and digestive support is so important I can’t imagine eliminating White Mountain from my diet, but I’ll listen to your counter argument, if you can make a persuasive case.

• admin February 5, 2014 at 5:21 pm

Thanks for your comment! I am going to use it as a blog post and will provide my thoughts on it there; stay tuned!